Key asks NZ to look the other way over SAS in Afghanistan
John Key rejects inquiry into SAS in Afghanistan
Prime Minister John Key has dismissed holding an inquiry into the SAS's role in Afghanistan following the troops' return home.
I'm sorry. What?
Mr Key today once again rejected the torture claims and that further investigation was needed.
"I don't think we need to have an inquiry," Mr Key told TVNZ's Breakfast.
"New Zealand has acted fully and professionally, and in line with the ISAF [International Security Assistance Force] and Nato [North Atlantic Treaty Organisation] requirements. I think there was one incident where a person was detained, and they went through the proper process."
...are you kidding me?
Okay, two questions.
1: What the hell is TVNZ Breakfast doing leading this story? With all due respect to Petra and Corin, they aren't exactly the crack political interviewers in NZ are they? Increasingly Key uses appearances on lite weight media to discuss issues well beyond the entertainer/presenters ability to question. How on earth can Key just swipe an issue like investigating our SAS for war crimes under the carpet with an answer as vacant as the one above?
The second question is where the hell Key get's off claiming that there is no reason for an inquiry into exactly what it is our SAS were asked to do?
He's asking us to forget the NZ military's attempts to lie outright to politicians about what our armed forces were actually doing.
He's asking us to forget the work of Nicky Hargar in exposing the complacency and manipulation of the mainstream media.
He's asking us to forget the work of award winning foreign journalist Jon Stevenson and his articles detailing how the SAS handed civilians over to known torture units not once but as Keith Locke pointed out - 35 times!
NZSAS Present 35 Times When Prisoners Taken
SAS present 35 times when prisoners taken, but minister dodges any responsibility for their welfare.
Denials that our SAS troops could be handing Afghan prisoners over to torture are getting less and less credible.
The government claims that on joint operations with the Afghan Crisis Response Unit our boys don’t take any prisoners. Last year, when I asked the NZ Defence Force about this – during a Select Committee hearings – I was told the SAS had been “in the vicinity” on 22 joint operations when prisoners were taken. On May 3 Defence Minister Wayne Mapp told me in the House that there were now 24 occasions where our SAS had been “in support” when prisoners were taken. Four days later, in response to my Written Question (03022), he upped that figure to 35.
Key's attempt to sweep it all under the carpet is as contemptuous as the mainstream media's self censoring compliance with the NZ military and their outright willingness to don a flak jacket and helmet and play the intrepid journalist shtick. It's not as if our reconstruction teams actually built anything of any use with independent reports citing the spin work we did for the locals to hide what we are really doing as "poorly planned" and "wildly exaggerated".
But beyond the Kiwi Camp front for the CIA and our self censoring mainstream media puppets, is the shock that our military have lied and decieved our own politicians about what we are really doing in this war for America.
How have we managed to appoint someone as Governor General who may in fact have been party to breaching the Geneva convention and who was running a military who were making up their own foreign policy minus any criticism from our mainstream media pundits is a question yet to be answered.
It's the willfully ignorant media leading the ignorantly willful public and a Prime Minister thankful for the lack of scrutiny of his or Labour's real reasons for involving us in an un-winnable occupation that propped up a corrupt narco state.
Turns out g ive war a chance was an acceptable foreign policy after all.