Government to veto parliamentary majority - welcome to casual fascism
...and the Authoritarian Capitalism model marches onwards... Govt to veto paid parental leave bill
The Government will veto plans to increase paid parental leave to six months.
It is absolutely extraordinary what we are witnessing from this Government. The National Party and ACT will veto extra maternity leave legislation EVEN THOUGH they only command 60 votes in a 121 vote Parliament. This is the first time in modern political history that the minority have over ruled the majority in our house, it is a moment where the democratic empowerment of majority rule will be overturned by the minority.
If Helen Clark had ever pulled a stunt like this, there would be rioting in the streets from the Shire Volk. Key does it and the sleepy hobbits are focused on weird racial attacks on Pat Lam and the Blues.
The 1% just over ruled the remaining 99% and the news media seem asleep to the ramifications and implications. There is a belief within news rooms that viewers will stampede for the remote if 'parliamentary process' is ever mentioned, that's why none of them focused on National's abuse and misuse of urgency during their first term. These technical process issues can't headline if there isn't a 'human emotional factor' for the journalist to pull sad faces over.
The ease with which the very principles of democracy can be vetoed with all the largess of a fart in a toilet is a reminder that our laid back zombie culture would always produce a casual fascism.
Welcome to the Kumara Republic.
PS - I wonder if our first Authoritarian Capitalist tzar Steven Joyce is looking at that Treasury veto power and is licking his lips?