- - - - - - - - - - - - -

Sunday, December 21, 2008

"Cheeky darkie" is how he repeatedly described the UN Secretary-General to his fawning, simple talkback audience.

indeed, is the symptom of - self-obsessed, hyperactive wankers egotists.

Never much liked the NZ Herald's editorials. Never liked him either. Thought his move to his own TV show was unwarranted, but there were some great moments and then it went from hard to soft and lost it's way and Holmes became a parody of himself and... I just never liked him. It was perhaps the fact that he let the audience know just how great he thought he was that made me dislike him. I've talked to people who have a respect for him that is reverential to the point of worship - and I just don't get it. Is it because I black? [W]
The Herald continues:
The argument can be made that others - notably Colin "Uncle Scrim" Scrimgeour and Maud "Aunt Daisy" Basham in the 1930s and 1940s - occupied a equivalent place in the nation's cultural life.

And doesn't that say everything. From the frenzied rantings of dear old "Aunt Daisy" that I've heard in documentaries she was a hyperactive, neurotic, annoying bitch lady and anyone with half a mind would have switched it over to anything else - even Radio Berlin - rather than put up with that shit. Were they rationing brain cells too? FFS. Mad women frantically knitting cardigans, at varying stages (pre- and post) lobotomy - that was the audience back then. Arguably Homes is in the same mould - a chattering, opinionated parrot, whose constant repetition of phrases (such as "cheeky darkie") in amongst the prattle keeps the shallow minds of the new audience similarly entertained: uptight white males - the sons of the Aunt Daisy listeners.

You would have to be fairly thick tolerant to put up with the ads every ten minutes or so on ZB (easily they have the most ads of any station). You would have to be something beyond tolerant to put up with filling your time voluntarily with commercial advertising if it was the sacrifice necessary to listen to the staccato indignation of the country's most uptight white males: Paul Holmes, Leighton Smith and Larry Williams. I can't stand them. I've tried listening - I have on the odd occasion tried - but Holmes is instantly irritating, Smith is bigoted, and Williams is just plain thick.

They say Holmes' columns are quite good, so I'll have to read at least one... at some point... in the distant future.

10 Comments:

At 21/12/08 5:00 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"It was perhaps the fact that he let the audience know just how great he thought he was that made me dislike him. "
Oh god...my sentiments EXACTLY ...never could stand the little jumped up wanker and like you just CANNOT for the life of me understand how he ever earned the title "journalist".

 
At 21/12/08 5:03 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

in yr list of zb talkback tories, don't forget the self important and reactionary danny watson

 
At 21/12/08 5:41 pm, Blogger Tim Selwyn said...

Well Danny Watson is about the sanest, most reasonable, one of them. If he's become reactionary lately I would put it down to the company he is in.

 
At 21/12/08 9:20 pm, Blogger Rapunzel said...

I like the story that PH is so controlling that he would deliberately script in random "ahs", "ums" and the odd stammer to make it look like he was ad libbing.

Choreographing spontaneity must be right up there with faking sincerity, eh?!

 
At 21/12/08 9:44 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did you mean 's'cos I is black innit!'?
Booyakasha

 
At 21/12/08 11:08 pm, Blogger Steve Withers said...

Holmes could be good. I have seen him in action, in person, being front man for a TVNZ election debate at Avalon.

That doesn't mean I liked him much. I rarely wached his show, considering it to be tabloid and populist and I was unlikely to get what I wanted from it.

Holmes did infotainment better than most. I just wasn't interested in infotainment.

 
At 22/12/08 7:33 am, Blogger SeaJay said...

no no, his columns are shite too, gotta read his, got to read, read his pieces on china, China of the Emperors, The China of the Mings, the Mings I say, blah blah blah, AND the trouble I have making out when L8ton Smith is blathering or is St.Pauls? Can't tell the pharking difference, anyhoo, verilyn off into to the wide dark night he floats on the dirigible ark of his own fantastic illusion blah blah blah, and I would'nt be a true kiwi if I did'nt finish with 'he's a nice guy tho'

 
At 22/12/08 9:02 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have you listened to Watson in full flight ? Obviously not, and don't blame the company he keeps please - everyone has a free will.
I listened to Watson for two afternoons about a year ago when jim mora started to drive me to distraction - he ( Watson) bullied callers , he pandered ( as they all do) to the lowest common denominator and he sent me screaming back to mora - and THAT'S saying something.

 
At 22/12/08 9:52 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree, Danny Watson is shrill. But is he sincere or just pandering to the old codger in a dirty-singlet brigade?

Much like Paul Holmes?

Has anyone read his bio?? I have not, but my partner did ($5 at 2nd hand store! :) ) He was a pig. Plain and simple.

 
At 22/12/08 2:05 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I won't miss Paul Holmes. I watched his TV show a few times when it started in 1988, then tried to avoid it.

His ZB show, stammering away there among the commercials. Waste of space.

Leighton Smith - terrible one-eyed view of the world. Australian is he?

Mike Yardley this morning started very well in Smith's spot. Did not hear the rest. Give him a job.

Kerre Woodham seems reasonable too.

Bruce Russell - not too good is he. Another of the extreme right.

Pat Brittenden is better.

Leighton Smith is objectionable however - he should follow holmes.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home