- - - - - - - - - - - - -

Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Alt Tv leads the national debate (once again)


Banks under fire for remarks
Auckland's mayor John Banks is under fire for his comments that he is more interested in Antarctic penguins than he is about social services. He made the comments during an interview on ALT TV over the weekend. "I am much more interested in the penguins of Antarctica than I am at some of the social problems that we have in New Zealand. I am much more interested in the bears that are baited in China, I'm much more interested in donkeys in the Middle East," he said. Those concerned with social issues in New Zealand are not impressed. "In my view it shows an impoverished view, because care for people should be central in the activities of the Auckland City Council," says Dr Bruce Hucker, Former deputy mayor. Hucker says affordable housing, an area Banks has long said shouldn't be council's responsibility, must be a high priority, along with ethnic relations, better community facilities and educational issues. Banks also played down the issue of global warming during the interview. "I am far, far more concerned with animal rights and animal welfare than I am in climate change," he said. When questioned about the values expressed, Banks reaffirmed his commitment to animal rights, but said he would not be "cross examined".

I almost fell off my chair in the studio when John made these remarks, oh and he was serious, I honestly believe he cares more about penguins than the ‘gypsies’ he complains clog Queen street.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home