Have we won Iraq yet? When do we invade Iran?
The latest news out of Iraq has become even more desperate and depressing. At some point America must accept that they have created more bad than good and back down – my genuine fear is that Bush will use this latest jump in violence to justify increasing American troop numbers in Iraq to ‘stabilize’ the situation – well I’m sorry George but there isn’t much of a situation left to stabilize….
February 2, 2004: 105 dead
Twin attacks on Kurdish parties' offices in Irbil.
March 2, 2004: 140 dead
Suicide bombers attack Shiite festival-goers in Karbala and Baghdad.
February 28, 2005: 114 dead
Suicide car bomb hits government jobseekers in Hilla.
September 15, 2005: 182 dead
Suicide car bomber targets Baghdad labourers.
January 6, 2006: 110 dead
Suicide bombers hit Karbala shrine and police recruiting station in Ramadi.
April 8, 2006: 85 dead
Triple suicide bombing at Shiite Buratha mosque, Baghdad.
November 24, 2006: 160 dead
Car bombs and mortar blasts in Sadr City, Baghdad.
Day of terror
* Six car bombs killed 160 people in a Shiite stronghold in the bloodiest attack in Baghdad since the United States invasion.
* A further 257 people were reported wounded.
* The blasts came at the same time as gunmen surrounded and fired on the Shiite-run Health Ministry, injuring five people.
* Mortars later crashed down on a nearby Sunni enclave in an apparent reprisal attack.
* After dark, there was sporadic gunfire in several districts.
* Shiite Prime Minister Nouri Maliki and the Sunni Vice-President, made an appeal for calm.
* Curfew imposed across Baghdad.